Edward N. Tiesenga
As Managing Partner of Tiesenga & DeBoer LLP, Edward N. Tiesenga works with the firm's team of attorneys concentrating on corporate formation, transactions, and litigation. Mr. Tiesenga understands how businesses operate locally, regionally, and throughout the world and he appreciates the economic value and social benefits generated by healthy businesses.
Mr. Tiesenga has been in private practice since 1984, including three years as Assistant Vice President and Franchise Counsel for The ServiceMaster Company, handling franchise, tax, contract enforcement and joint-venture relationships throughout North America, Europe, and the Middle East. He then joined the firm now known as Hoogendoorn & Talbot LLP in Chicago, Illinois, where he practiced commercial law and litigation as a managing partner of that firm. Mr. Tiesenga has been with his current firm since 1995, and currently represents a diverse commercial client base including product manufacturers, distributors, and exporters; suppliers and assemblers; specialty plastics and electronics engineering companies; software developers; recycling and waste hauling companies; contractors and cross-border advisory firms.
- United States Supreme Court, 2012
- State of Illinois, 1984
- District of Columbia, 1986
- State of Wisconsin, 2020
- United States District court for the Northern District of Illinois, 1984
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, 1984
- American University, Washington College of Law, Washington, D.C. (1984) J.D.
- Warsaw University Faculty of Law and Administration (in conjunction with University of San Diego School of Law), Warsaw, Poland (1982) Certificate in Comparative Socialist Law and East-West Trade Law
- Hope College, Holland, Michigan (1981) B.A. Cum Laude
Associations and Memberships
- Village of Oak Brook, Illinois, Trustee (2015-2019; 2019-2023)
- Read Asia, Board Member and Treasurer (2013-2015)
- American Bar Association, Vice-Chair of ABA Senior Lawyers Division Voice of Experience Newsletter Editorial Board (2012-2017)
- Illinois Bar Foundation, Fellow (2007-Present)
- DuPage County Bar Association, Member (Past Chairman of Corporate Law and Practice Committee, 1986)
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member
- Federalist Society, Member and Founder of American University Chapter (1983)
- Lombard Christian Reformed Church, Member, Lombard, IL
- Christian Legal Society
- The Holland Society of New York (Member, 2019-Present)
- DuPage County Corporate Law Attorney Elected as Oak Brook Village Trustee, February 10, 2016
- Great Rivers of Spending: The Legal Tributaries of Municipal Fire and Police Pensions, DCBA Brief, Feb. 2016; reprinted by the Illinois Municipal League in its Handbook for Newly Elected Officials (2019 Edition), by Richard G. Flood and Ruth Alderman Schlossberg
- Piracy & Punishment - An Appreciation of Hugo Grotius, DCBA Brief, Sept. 2017 (co-authored with Ryan Haught)
- 24 and the Pardon Power, DCBA Brief, May 2014
- Confessions of a Conflicted Cognovit Counselor, DCBA Brief, December 2012 (co-authored with Nathaniel J. Reinsma)
- Senior Lawyer Motorcycle Diaries: Chicago to Newfoundland, The Voice of Experience (ABA Senior Lawyers Division), Fall 2012
- Castro's Island of Freedom, The Moscow Times, April 28, 2012
- Just Shake Hands and Be Done With It—What Could be Wrong With That? International Journal of Franchising Law, Vol. 7, Issue 1, 2009 (co-authored with Thaddeus Goodchild)
- The Himmeliation of Roland Burris, DCBA Brief, April 2009
- Cash Me If You Can: Enforcing Bank Liability for a Wrongfully Cashed Multi-payee Check, DCBA Brief, May 2007
- Battling Scylla and Charybdis in the Flooded Basement: The insurer as both vendor manager and subrogee, DCBA Brief, Feb/March 2005
- Deconstructing Insurance Proceeds Escrows to Get Your Contractor Client Paid, DCBA Brief, Jan. 2005
- Joint Payees on Contractor-Generated Insurance Proceeds, DCBA Brief, Jan. 2005
- Got Mold?: Advising the Contractor Hired to Clean it Up, DCBA Brief, Dec. 2004
- Handling Insurance Reconstruction Jobs: Common Legal Concerns, Insurance Reconstruction Magazine, Summer 1989.
- Book review of Peter Hubers Liability: The Revolution and its Consequences, Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, May 15, 1989.
- Introduction to Franchise Law: Developing Your Clients Franchise Business, DuPage Bar News, Nov. 1986
- Illinois General Assembly Considers New Franchise Disclosure Act, Illinois State Bar Association Intellectual Property Section Newsletter, Vol. 27, No. 2, Jan. 1988