DuPage County Zoning and Land Use Attorneys

Special Use Real Estate: Zoning, Agricultural & Industrial Use Properties

dupage zoning and land use attorneys

The purchase and sale of commercial property is complicated, with numerous potential issues that must be addressed. Among these are zoning and special land use matters. Counties, cities, and other municipalities use zoning ordinances and regulations to govern the way real estate is allowed to be used. If you are involved in a real estate transaction, it is important to work with attorneys who have particular involvement in zoning issues for special use real estate, such as agricultural and industrial use properties.

At Tiesenga Reinsma & DeBoer LLP, we have over a century of combined commercial real estate, zoning, and land use experience. Our lawyers have extensive knowledge of all legal matters related to buying and selling commercial property. We regularly represent industrial and agricultural businesses in commercial property transactions, and we have an in-depth understanding of the common issues involved when dealing with special use real estate. We also understand that legal issues often arise on short notice. Our attorneys emphasize responsiveness and accessibility, and we work hard to remain available to our clients when they need us the most.

We provide comprehensive representation to clients for all matters related to zoning and land use for special use real estate, including but not limited to:

  • Zoning Regulations and Ordinances
  • Land Use Planning
  • Architectural and Construction Issues
  • Licensing
  • Special Use Permits
  • Variances
  • Environmental Consulting and Due Diligence
  • Eminent Domain Issues

Common Zoning and Land Use Issues

When purchasing commercial property, you must ensure that it is zoned for the type of business you want to conduct. Real estate is typically zoned into one of six primary categories:

  • Residential
  • Commercial
  • Agricultural
  • Industrial
  • Recreational
  • Mixed Use

There may be additional subcategories that place further restrictions on land use, depending on the municipality you are dealing with. If the land you are looking at is not zoned for your intended purpose, this will cause further complications. For example, if you want to build a commercial facility on a 50-acre plot that is zoned for agricultural use, you will need to seek a variance or special use permit from the local government. This process is complex and involves public notices, hearings, and ultimately seeking approval from a local board or commission.

Dealing with land use and zoning issues requires the assistance of skilled legal counsel to ensure a smooth and successful process. For experienced guidance with special use real estate, zoning, agricultural, and industrial use properties in Illinois, contact our office today at 630-645-1403 for a consultation. Tiesenga Reinsma & DeBoer LLP provides skilled legal representation for clients in DuPage, Cook, Will, Lake, Kane, Kendall, and Grundy Counties.


Contact Our Attorneys at 630-645-1403

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.


To schedule an initial consultation, contact us or call our office at 630-645-1403.
Contact Us
  • Badges and Associations
  • Badges and Associations
  • Badges and Associations
  • Badges and Associations
  • Badges and Associations
  • Badges and Associations
  • Badges and Associations
  • Badges and Associations
  • Badges and Associations
  • Badges and Associations
  • Badges and Associations

Tiesenga Reinsma & DeBoer LLP

1200 Harger Road, Suite 830
Oak Brook, IL 60523

Phone: 630-645-1403
Fax: 630-645-9804

 Get Directions

Back to Top